To experience lucid dreaming or out-of-body-experiences you need to entirely relax your body while keeping your mind alert. This is a lot more difficult than it sounds!
Mindful Counting is just one of many little exercises to help carry your consciousness over while your body relaxes!
- Sit or lie comfortably. The posture you choose depends on how easy you find it to relax. If lying on a bed results in sleep withing seconds, sit in an upright chair. If you struggle to relax, go for a more restful posture. Experiment and see what works for you! You want to be totally relaxed physically, but as mentally alert as possible.
- Mindful Counting is just counting upwards, but with your full attention…
- One…fill your mind with one. Let every part of your attention be on One. If other thoughts intrude, accept them, but let them float away, leaving just One in your mind. When you mind is filled with One, move onto the next number.
- Two…repeat the whole process, with Two. If your mind wanders, you can either accept it, acknowledge it and move on, go back to the beginning and count from One again, or, if you choose, follow your wandering thoughts like a river (this may make you fall asleep, but it can be fascinating to track your train of thoughts in this way!)
- Three…repeat the whole process with Three.
- If you are practising Mindful Counting to relax and prepare your mind for another Dream Exercise, give yourself a limit number depending on how easy you find it to relax. For example, if you find yourself in a calm state quite quickly, give yourself a lowish Ten as a goal (it’s still a challenge to keep your attention focussed for that long!). If you need a bit longer to quiet your mind, feel free to up the numbers until you feel ready!
- If you are practising this exercise to guide yourself into a lucid dream or out-of-body experience from a waking state, carry on counting until you get there. (You may well fall asleep first, but practice makes perfect, and it’s always an enjoyable process!)
- You can also use these exercises to simply get yourself to sleep. In that case, just keep counting for as long as you need, allowing your mind to wander and carry you into sleep.
Luna Selena X